Davangere has become synonymous with a famously rich variety of dosa, known as ‘Benne Dosa’ or ‘Butter Dosa’. In fact several eateries aka dosa camps in Bengaluru have played a pivotal role in “introducing and popularizing” the Davangere Benne Dosa in my city and beyond.
While this delicious creation has been replicated aka commercialized across most of the dosa-camps in Bengaluru. In Davangere, Sri Guru Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel is the undoubted champion of authentic Davangere Benne Dosa.
Davangere Benne Dosa is a crispy dosa cooked on wood-fired tava with generous amounts of butter served with Potato Palya (made of boiled mashed potatoes) and spicy coconut-based Chutney.
The dosa is crisp and thin marked by large holes on the surface (as a result of carbon dioxide release in the form of bubbles from the baking soda mixed in the dosa batter) with lots of butter that adds the intoxicating aroma and delicousness.
The menu at the Davangere Benne Dosa Hotel has only 3 items:
- Benne Khali Dosa (similar to the Set Dosa & each serving/plate consists of 3 dosas)
- Benne Dosa – Single
- Benne Dosa – Plate (consists of 2 benne dosas)
- Timings: 8:30 am to 9 pm (Open all days of the week)
- Location: Sri Guru Kottureshwara Benne Dosa Hotel, Medical College Road | Mcc B Block, Davanagere Google Maps Link
- Parking: No dedicated parking for cars & motorcycles, lots of bylanes can accommodate them
- They don’t serve coffee or tea 😦 head to ‘Love Food’ Hotel (about 2 buildings away) for coffee or tea
- Cash only, no cards are accepted
- The place gets crowded and one has to wait for 20 to 30 mins – however the crowd fades-out between 2 to 4 pm