Selvi mess is so synonymous with food in Salem these days, its disrespectful to not stop by for a meal !! (unless you are a pure vegetarian).
Started 35 years ago, Selvi Mess attracts locals and visitors with the promise of simple, delicious Chettinad cuisine (the traditional cuisine of Tamil Nadu’s Chettiar community, which is pre-dominantly spicy and meat/sea-food driven) dishing out a gastronomic experience via their biryani, white rice based full-meals, chicken/mutton/fish/prawns-based side dishes that complement the biryani or meals along with great hospitality.
What to Eat:
While we couldn’t cover the full spread, here are the must-eats:
Biryani (Chicken or Mutton):
Made with short-grained rice and meat-pieces, the biryani is an explosion of flavours, but spiced mildly. Its served with tomato & kathrikkai (brinjal) dalcha , raitha, Kari Kuzhambu (mutton gravy) or Koli Kuzhambu (chicken gravy).
Meals (Veg or Non-Veg):
The Veg meals comprise of white rice, sambar, rasam, more (spiced buttermilk), tomato & kathrikkai (brinjal) dalcha along with pickles.
Kari Kuzhambu (mutton gravy) or Koli Kuzhambu (chicken gravy) are served with white rice in the non-veg meals.
The perfect side-dish with a meal 😀 Served with lemon and onions, chilli fish is a deep fried dish made with boneless chunks of Nei Meen aka seer fish marinated with spices.
Useful Information on Selvi Mess, Salem:
- Location: Selvi Mess, Opposite New Bus Stand, Swarnapuri, Salem – link to Google Maps
While the above location is the main branch, Selvi Mess has 4 branches across Salem town:
- Selvi Mess, Opp. Town Railway Station, Sivasami Street, Salem
- Selvi Mess, Cherry Road, Hasthampatty, Salem
- Selvi Mess, Attur Main Road, Seelanaickanpatty Byepass, Salem
- Selvi Food Mania, Manivannan Road,new bustand, Salem [Selvi Food Mania, is the up-market AC version, serving the same food]
- Cash-only, no cards are accepted
- Parking for motorcycles, no dedicated parking for cars
- Timings: 10:30 AM – 11 PM (Open all days of the week)