A trip to Ooty is incomplete without tasting and bringing-back home-made chocolates. The art of making chocolates was introduced by the British in the 1800s, when Udhagamandala (the actual name of Ooty) rose to become the numero-uno place for ‘British Collectors’ to spend the summers in south India.
Ooty is the home to two of the oldest home-made chocolatiers in India – Kingstar Confectionary and Moddy’s.
Moddy’s aka Modern Stores has been delighting chocolate-patrons from school kids to tourists to food-connoisseurs to the locals, since 1951 with over a 100 varieties of home-made chocolates.
Taste them in any form from ‘solid chocolates’ to ‘liquor-filled bonbons’ to ‘fruit-based bonbons’ to ‘hot-chocolate’ to ‘brownies’ to ‘chocolate pastries’ and you will be smiling from your heart 🙂
- Timings: 9:30 am to 9 pm (Open all days of the week)
- Location: Modern Stores 144, Garden Road, Ooty
- Parking: Ample space to park cars and motorcycles
- Cash and cards are accepted
- Don’t shy away from asking for a sample, before buying more quantity