Dandeli has been a hotspot for wildlife enthusiasts and river-rafting aficionados, relatively unheard-of is its rich-lineage of food-joints locally referred as ‘Khanavalis’ serving North Karnataka food.
A Khanavali is a family-run eatery run mostly by Lingayats that serve authentic vegetarian North Karnataka food consisting of jowar rotis, a few salads, fresh fenugreek leaf salad, chutney pudi (powder) made from green and red chillies, lentil dishes followed by rice with rasam, curd and dessert.
Erappana Lingayat Khanavali is the best place to taste authentic north Karnataka food in Dandeli. They only serve only jowar-roti meals and is run by Erappana’s family since the 1970s.
- Timings: 1130 am to 3 pm and 7 30pm to 9 30pm (open all days)
- Footwear should be removed before dining, as the food is being served in the house
- Cash only, no cards are accepted
- No dedicated parking for cars (motorcycles can be parked outside the khanavali)
- Location: Erappana Lingayat Khanavali, Opposite Naregal Petrol Pump, Patel Circle Dandeli
- There is no board displaying the name of the khanavali, ask any of the shops and they will guide you – Its on the main road, so easy to locate.