There is no joy better than discovering new food places on a motorcycle and with the deteriorating quality of breakfast served at regular chains such as Kamats, A2Bs etc these traditional/family-run breakfast joints uphold the promise of authentic and delicious South-Indian breakfast.
Presenting the third edition of 5 breakfast ride getaways from Bangalore:
1) Idly Mane, Harohalli
Run by a husband and wife, Idly Mane serves ‘soft-as-butter‘ thatte idlis along with chutney and sagu (potato-based curry)
- Must try – Thatte Idly and vada
- Timings: 6:30 am to 11 am, Open all days
- They do not serve coffee or tea
- Distance from Bangalore – 40kms
- Location: Idly Mane Harohalli, Kanakpura road (NH-209)
2) Subbanna Mess, Melkote
This is ‘a typical brahmin mess’ serving all 3 meals (breakfast, lunch & dinner) throughout the year and one has to remove footwear before delving into food (symbolic of hygiene and respect to food)
- Must try – Sakkare Pongal + Puliogare + thatte idly
- Timings – 6 am to 12 pm (only breakfast) – they are open till 11 pm , Open all days
- Distance from Bangalore – 130 kms
- Location – Subbanna Mess, Melkote, Karnataka
PS: One has to remove footwear to eat the food in the dining section (They also have a separate verandah where one doesn’t need to remove their footwear to eat)
This place is for the sweet-tooth foodie – breakfast + mysore pak or badam halwa + filter coffee is the recommended course of action :p
- Must try – Masala dosa + mysore pak + badma halwa + filter coffee
- Timings: 7:30 am to 9:30 pm (Dosas are available till 11:30 am and resume from 4 pm onwards)
- Closed on Thursday
- Distance from Bangalore – 40 kms
- Location: Janardhan Hotel Ramanagara Town (off Mysore Road), Karnataka
4) Shree Veerabhadreshwara Bhavana, Halagur
Discovery of this place is dedicated to a dear friend Praveen. This is your typical hanchina-mane (tiled house) serving breakfast in Halagur, a bustling town on NH209 before Malavalli.
- Must try – Masala dosa + pakodas (their norm is 2 masala dosas in a single plate : D)
- Timings – 6 am to 11 am and 3:30 pm to 7 pm, Open all days
- Distance from Bangalore – 90 kms
- Location – Shree Veerabhadreshwara Bhavana Halagur, Kanakpura road, NH209
5) Harsha Café, Mandya
One of the most popular breakfast places in Mandya, Harsha Café serves delicious south Indian breakfast and snacks throughout the day.
- Must try – Set dosa + coffee
- Timings – 7:30 am to 8:30 pm
- Closed on Friday
- Distance from Bangalore – 100 kms
- Location, Harsha Cafe VV Road, Mandya
All the above places don’t accept cards (cash only) and do not have dedicated parking for motorcycles.
Don’t forget to check out the First and Second edition of breakfast ride getaways from Bangalore!!